It is my son's 5th Birthday today [HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN] and so we had a pirate party for him. He wanted the party at home this year, so I can't review Fidgets or Go-Go Bambini here, but I can tell you about the cake.

I ordered it from Smiling Orchid Bakery and it was a hit all round. If you know what OTT stands for, then that's what this cake was. Totally Over The Top! When I first saw it I couldn't work out where the actual cake was, but there is 2kg of cake somewhere under pirates, pirate ships, cannons, and palm trees. These decorations are all plastic and can be kept as toys, while other decorations such as pebbles on the beach and the grass are edible.

Anyway, Smiling Orchid have an on-line catalogue where you can view all their amazing designs. Some are 3-D and have to be ordered a few days in advance, but most, like this Pirate Cove one, can be ordered the day before. For S$128 (including GST) with fresh cream or a little less with buttercream, I thought it was well worth the expense.

The actual cake is a light sponge with a choice of blueberry, chocolate chip or strawberry filling. We picked the strawberry filling and it was quite tasty without being too sweet. I would highly recommend this cake if you are looking for the WOW factor and also want a cake that tastes good.

To order a cake, call 65 6468 4237

14 comments

dancingdory said... @ June 4, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Hi Milly, I've been an avid reader of your blog particularly when we are planning a holiday back in Singapore. The blog has been an invaluable resource to me in discovering little gems about the island that I don't even know as a bred-and-born Singaporean.

As for Smiling Orchid, it has been around for ages since even when I was a kid. My parents ordered a fancy cake from them each year up till I was twelve. The cake is yummy and of course the little toys to keep are a bonus too. I think my mum still has them around the house! :)

Seen This Scene That said... @ June 8, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Happy belated birthday greetings Ben! How lucky you are to have a loving mummy to get a huge cake for you.

Milly said... @ June 8, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Hi dancingdory,
Thanks for your comment. I had no idea Smiling Orchid had been around for so long, although it does seem well known amongst locals. Glad you enjoy reading the blog..is there anywhere from your childhood you would like me to visit?

usha said... @ June 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Hi Milly,
After reading your comments, I was excited and ordered two cakes for my son's b'day. I choose butter cream since Iam planning an outdoor party. Have you ever tried their butter cream. Please let me know how it tastes.

Later I read some comments from other sites and Iam really getting worried

How true it this. My sons like Thomas and I was looking for a Thomas cake and finally found one at Smiling Orchid.

Please respond.

thanks
usha

Milly said... @ June 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Hi Usha,
We used Buttercream for my daughter's Forest Adventure party and I was a little worried too, but it was perfectly fine. Everyone ate without complaint and some had seconds. I would agree that the fresh cream is better, but I wouldn't call the buttercream 'yucky'. It will be a hit either way.
If you are worried, try to see if there is anywhere with AC that you can leave the cake before you cut it. The people at Futsal and Forest Adventure were very accomodating and let us keep the cakes in the office. We had a fresh cream cake at the futsal party and it sat in AC for an hour before being cut.
The Smiling Orchid cakes are terrific for kids, so do let me know how the buttercream goes down :)

Usha said... @ June 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Thanks a lot for your response Milly, that gives me some peace of mind.

If we leave Fresh cream in Air condition room and not in the refrigerator is it be ok?

It is too risky to leave the car aircon on just for this purpose...

thanks again. Will keep you posted about the cake....

Milly said... @ June 24, 2009 at 6:28 AM

@Usha
I cannot recommend that you leave the fresh cream cake in the car with your AC on, all I can tell you is that we had out fresh cream cakes in the AC room for an hour and they were fine. I guess it is a toss up, but you wouldn't want the cream to go off...I would say the buttercream is safer for you :)

Usha said... @ June 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Hi Milly,

The cake was a hit and everyone liked it. Butter cream was perfectly fine. Thanks a lot for all your advice.

Stefanie said... @ July 13, 2009 at 5:25 AM

Hi Milly,

May I know where you got the pirate costume for your son? Thanks!

Milly said... @ July 15, 2009 at 1:11 AM

@Usha
That's wonderfu, I'm glad it was a success.

@Stefanie,
The pirate costume is actually a hand-made one I found in a thrift shop in UK..Sorry!

Stefanie said... @ July 21, 2009 at 7:46 AM

The costume is lovely! I am having problems finding one for my 4 year old son here. We're getting the same pirate cake though! :)

Milly said... @ July 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM

@Stephanie
You can borrow the costume if you like..if I can find it in the dress up box! email me at bondi_inspire[at]yahoo[dot]com[dot]sg and we can arrange something..actually the hat is from the magic shop at Tanglin Mall if I remember correctly :)

Tulip said... @ November 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

best regard,

air freight singapore said... @ February 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Informative and easy to read copy really do help! Nice job!