sleeping kids, by Glenn Loos-Austin

I am driving into Malaysia during Chinese New Year next week and am a little nervous, as my husband is away. Thankfully my mother is here from Australia, so she will help me keep my two kids from killing each other. Unfortunately they are at a stage when they annoy each other most of the time, so I am expecting the worst.

The drive through the causeway puts me on edge, especially during this busy time of the year. I am sure to get lost even though I have good directions on paper. It will be the first time I have driven in Malaysia and although I know the roads are good, with two squabbling children in the back it may be a road to nowhere!

So I have decided to get organised and get a few things together to keep the kids occupied during the three hour journey. Here are a few things on my stay sane list to make the journey not just bearable, but fun:

• Activities-The first thing I will do is make sure they both have a new magazine to look at, something that doesn't require too much reading but interests them all the same. An activity book with some word searches is fun. Also wipe-away boards are great to have in the car as they produce no mess (although watch out for markers). also paper and a pencil or crayon to draw a map of our route could also be fun. The Where's Wally books are are hit with the kids at the moment.

• Refreshments- I will make sure they have a juice box each as well as some crackers and snacks that don't need refrigerating. I may even pack them a special goody bag each with some healthy treats (no melting chocolate or sticky sweets) and produce it with an element of surprise.

• Music- they can have their own music on; more Beyonce and Miley Syrus I can handle if it means they are not arguing.

• Games- We can play the license plate game, 'I Spy', or the scavenger hunt game. I give them a list of things they have to look for, like red car, cows, petrol station, billboards, which will hopefully keep them occupied for ever!

• Comfort- I will put in a pillow each so they can get comfy. If they are relaxed enough they may even fall asleep. Ahh, blissful silence!

10 comments

Karen said... @ February 9, 2010 at 1:05 AM

I recommend getting a bunch of the immigration cards from the border so you can have them completed in advance next time you cross.

Dominique said... @ February 9, 2010 at 3:33 AM

We travelled by the 2nd link when we visited Malacca last month. There is lesser traffic there and it takes much faster to cross the checkpoint.

EastCoastLife said... @ February 10, 2010 at 3:15 AM

You are very brave to drive-in to Malaysia by yourself, with your Mom and kids in tow! :P
You have to be careful. You should have call a few friends.

Milly said... @ February 10, 2010 at 3:47 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone! I am definitely nervous, but what exactly should I be careful of ECL? Do you mean other drivers in Malaysia, the roads, or security? Don't worry I will be fine :)

sherleen chong said... @ February 11, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Hi there! I'm a regular visitor to your blog and have it posted at my own blog, thebabycove.blogspot.com.

Just be mentally prepared to face the massive jams as you enter the causeway, so you might have to set off at a time away from the rest. Good luck!

butterflyrubrics said... @ February 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I just came across your blog and am loving it! Thank you for all your generous sharings.

We're driving in this weekend too, in a couple of hours, and I'm as nervous as you are cos it'll be the first time we're driving up with our toddler without "reinforcements" (in the form of grandparents and aunts). My hubby's idea is to create a play area of sorts at the back of the MPV, so he'll be able to crawl around and not get restless. I'm just done packing all them toys. Hope it works! I'm really nervous about traffic!

Looking fwd to ur updates when yu get back!

Anna said... @ February 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Happy Chines New Year. I hope you had a smooth trip. I came across your blog a little late for this post. For future, you might want to get these car seat trays, they are life savers.

mum2mum said... @ February 21, 2010 at 11:49 PM

We drove during CNY from Singapore to KL and was stopped by traffic police for speeding. We you?

Milly said... @ February 22, 2010 at 5:35 AM

@mum2mum
No we weren't stopped!! We had a great run-went through Tuas going which was a breeze-no traffic at all. Coming back I went through JB as there were road signs all the way and lots of 'S' plated Singapore cars so I knew i was on the right track! It was also no problem-on Friday evening peak hour it only took us maybe 20 minutes to get through customs.

Also the kids were happy in the car with their books and toys, we didn't even have to play any games. The "are we there yet" was ben's mantra but that's expected. Phew, what a relief!

charu said... @ March 13, 2010 at 8:33 AM

hi, yr blog is really wonderful.....keep writing...
charu